five minute face

I don't know about you but I love when bloggers do posts that give you a glimpse into some little pocket of their lives you don't see every day. Whether it's a home tour, a day-in-the-life, or a "what's in my purse" post, I love the peak at someone else's ordinary. That probably makes me nosy but there it is.
 
I was standing in front of the mirror before work the other day doing my usual get-ready routine and as it often does, my mind wandered off. I found myself wondering how much time most women spend getting ready in the morning. Do most put on a full face of make-up each day? How many wear no make-up at all? I thought it would be fun to do a post on my everyday make-up routine in case some of you are as nosy as I am and might be interested.
 
My everyday make-up is pretty basic. I spend about five minutes each morning, max.  I use the same products, in the same order, each day. (Do you have a specific order too or do you switch it up?)

 
First, I curl my eyelashes. (The curler didn't seem to make the picture. This was an idea hatched at 7am. Forgive me.) Then, I apply foundation.  My favorite is the Vichy DermaFinish Corrective Foundation. My skin is a mess so I need full coverage foundation and this stuff is amazing. Good coverage but not cakey or thick. I picked this up after seeing it on one of Lisa Eldridge's tutorials. Next, I do undereye concealer.  I use the Maybelline Age Rewind concealer but to be honest, I don't love it. I could use something that covers better and lasts longer but I've yet to find it so I keep using this one. Next, I swipe MAC's Paint Pot in Painterly across my lids. Then, it's one coat of Maybelline Colossal Volume Express mascara in brown on top and bottom lids. I don't have the patience for two coats and I hate clumps so one coat it is. Last, it's blush - Nars in the ubiquitous Orgasm shade. And that's it. Done in five minutes or less.
 
A few years ago, my list would have included eyeliners and eyeshadows. Probably primers, setting powders, and bronzers too.  Now, I just can't muster up the energy or the enthusiasm for all that on a daily basis. I'm sure some eyeliner would do wonders for my tired eyes but at the office or the playground, I just don't care enough to spend the additional time. If I have an important meeting or a rare night out, I'll make the extra effort, drag out my eyeliner and my Naked eye palettes, and get fancy.
 
Indulge my nosy nature and tell me, what's your everyday make-up routine? Do you know about a better undereye concealer I should try?  Am I missing out on any must-have daily products?

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

Great products! About 6 months ago after searching high and low for a great concealer, I fell in love with: Hard Candy's Glamoflauge - its about $6 at Walmart, which was a lot cheaper than my Laura Mercier concealer, and worked a lot better for my dark circles. I think its actually meant to cover tattoos, which tells you how much coverage it has- but not cakey at all! LOVE LOVE LOVE

Melissa said...

I cake on the concealer, but before I apply my foundation. I can't blend it right otherwise. Also, a year ago I noticed huge bags under my eyes and I started using ole Hendrickson ultimate lift eye gel and it's made a huuugggeee difference.

Fun post! I love seeing other peoples makeup routines.

Classy Fab Sarah said...

Oh I just love seeing this!! I did one of these posts a loong time ago, and it's about time for an update.

FYI - I got sick of how expensive Orgasm has gotten in the few years I've been wearing it. I just switched to Lorac Baked Matte Blush in Velvet Rope. Still expensive, but WAY less than Orgasm!

Melissa Williscroft said...

I just realized I use mostly MAC products. I especially like their "select cover-up" concealer -- give it a try. I'd like to try their Painter Pots...

Samma said...

I love posts like these too! I use all drugstore stuff because 1) I'm cheap 2) never can go anywhere but Target. My routine is pretty much the same, except I have stubby blonde eyelashes so if I don't do eyeliner and shadow my eyes disappear. Oh, and I have to put on lipstick. It and blush are the only way I look alive lately! Ha!

Kate said...

Oooo What's In My ___ and DITL type posts are my favorite too!

My makeup routine also takes a max of 5 minutes. I use Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage concealer (which I LOVE) and, if I'm doing anything "fancy" that day, LM tinted moisturizer as well (if it's just me and the kidlet all day, I skip it). Then Urban Decay's Naked Flushed on my cheeks, UD's anti-aging eyelid primer (this is a newbie -- I'm not a big primer person but I am obsessed with this one -- shadow stays on for 12+ hours without creasing), UD's Naked2 or 3 shadow, and finally, Good Ol' Maybelline Great Lash.

Sonya said...

I love the simplicity. It's much more than I do. I usually don't even bother. Not sure how long I can get away with that. When and if I wear anything its powder, mascara, and lip gloss. The rest if just too much for me.

Alyssa said...

Love the concealer from Urban Decay. Their eyeliner pencil is amaze too!

Shannon Sentences said...

I was always a drugstore girl but recently started investing in a few key items, which have made all the difference - most importantly the concealer from Chanel. It's expensive, but it is also life changing and lasts a really long time. I SO highly recommend it!