heyyyy

 
Well hey there. I've been meaning to get my act together and post something all week. Looks like today is finally the day. It's been quiet around here lately but I think you've come to expect long periods of silence from me. I'm not ready to hang it up quite yet so I expect you'll continue to hear from me at random intervals.
 
Lots of scattered and disjointed things to share today so let's hop right to it. 
 
Speaking of hop - Easter. I'm already excited for ham. And macaroni and cheese. And carrot cake. Holidays are all about food for me. Everything is all about food for me. I only half-joked to Jill that we should do a trial run on some Easter recipes before April. I need honey-baked ham sooner rather than later. 

It's Spirit Week at Blaire's school this week. Each day has a dress up theme. Today was Favorite Story Book Character Day. She went as Madeline.


She walked so proudly in to class this morning and told her teachers "I'm Madeline!" I know I'm the mom and I'm genetically programmed to think so but goodness my girl is cute! Her sweet heart and hilarious spirit make me burst with pride. I love her so.
 
 In April, Brian and I are sneaking away for a quick getaway - our first since Blaire was born two and half years ago! We're spending one night in Savannah and two in Charleston. Hotels are booked but we'd love your tips for great restaurants or must see shops and sights. We're eating at Husk on Saturday night but other than that, we're wide open. (Seriously, send restaurant recommendations. Brian keeps suggesting places and it's not pretty. 13 BBQ restaurants and a seafood restaurant with mozzarella sticks on the menu. EEP.) A suggestion for breakfast/brunch on Sunday would be especially appreciated.

I've fallen woefully behind on House of Cards and True Detective. Must remedy ASAP. True Detective ends Sunday and I'm worried it will be ruined for me. I see some Matthew McConaughey binge watching in my future.
 
It's not exactly peak apple season but I got a craving for an apple dessert and made this Apple Streusel Bread.
Source
It was so good. We've been eating it all week for breakfast, though it's certainly indulgent enough for dessert. In fact, one night I warmed up a slice and topped it with vanilla ice cream. YUM.  Oh, and I guess I should confess that I doubled the streusel topping. And I think you should too.
 
 I know I hardly blog but I've been thinking about a little update for my space here. Does anyone click through and read blogs anymore or does everyone use a reader? Is an update a waste of time? 

Okay, signing off for now. I've got 19 half-written posts queued up but somehow it will still probably be a month before I'm back. Such is life. 

And don't forget the Savannah and Charleston recommendations. If I end up eating mozzarella sticks in the foodie capitals of the south. it's on all of you.
 

16 comments:

Sara McCarty said...

I cannot get over your little Madeline. I need that outfit for Mim asap. DYING. She is so cute I could eat her. And ham. And carrot cake. And that bread. (Can you tell I haven't had lunch yet?)

Danielle said...

You have the cutest Madeline ever! Love it! I never can think of a doable book character.

Charleston rec's - McCrady's (Husk's sister restaurant), The Glass Onion, The Macintosh and for breakfast/brunch Charleston's Cafe, Three Little Birds, or Toast. SO many great places there! It's honestly hard to go wrong. Have fun!

Pink Lace and Cupcakes said...

Blaire is soo sweet! Glad to hear you are all doing well:) I live for carrot cake and only eat it Easter for that very reason

KatiePerk said...

Perfection. Her costume is fab. I want to squeeze her. Hooray you got a reservation at Husk! I have just heard Eli's Table is supposed to be wonderful for brunch but haven't been myself.

Mateya said...

How cute is that Madeline costume!!!

Natalie said...

So jealous of your trip to Charleston- love, love, love that city! We had a fabulous brunch at Hominy Grill while we were there and a friend of mine owns a great steakhouse called Halls Chophouse. We also did a food tour which was touristy but a fun way to eat our way through the city and get a dash of history. I think it was CharlestonCulinaryTours.com? There's also a really cute culinary store called Charleston Cooks that you should stop by. Have a blast!!

Elizabeth said...

Magnolia for brunch
Poogin's Porch for dinner
honestly i love just about every restaurant in charleston so u really can't go wrong with anything on lower broad in my opinion :)

Elizabeth said...

oh i forgot hominy grill but get there early b/c there is usually a line around the block

Elise said...

My favorite places in Savannah-
AJ's (it's on Tybee and it looks kind of like a hole in the wall, but I highly recommend this place, especially their buffalo shrimp)

Mrs. Wilkes (only open for lunch)

Crystal Beer Parlor is really good, but I haven't been there in years, so I'm just saying how it was when I went there last

Sounds like a super fun weekend!!

Classy Fab Sarah said...

I neeeed that Apple bread. NOW!

Jill @ The Girly Show said...

Cutest Madeline ever! Great job on the costume!

Leah @ Everyday Love said...

Oh that outfit, she's darling! Here's my Savannah post….now I'm off to make that apple bread! http://www.myeverydayloveblog.com/2011/09/savannah.html

Emily Clark said...

Macintosh in Charleston has an AWESOME brunch!! And dinner for that matter. We also love Indaco and if you're beer drinkers, the Craftsmen is a quiet place with great food and a huge beer selection. Would be a good stop for lunch. Their burger is to die for. The bar at husk also has a good burger. Blossom's has my favorite she crab soup... I know others have said 82 queen does but Blossom's is lighter on the Sherry which ruins it for me. I could go on and on about Charleston food! The Gin Joint is a fun drink spot on East Bay. Where are y'all staying?

Lindsay said...

I guess I'm baking apple bread today .....

Samma said...

Her costume is amazing. I love it!

Nat said...

Her Madeline costume is so cute!! I loved that book when I was a kid. Holidays are always about food for me to- we do an Easter brunch and I've been working on the menu since Christmas ended. Enjoy your trip away- that will be nice!