let's talk floors


I haven't shared much about our new(ish) house since we moved last June. Mostly because we haven't made too many big changes, save for a small kitchen update I still need to share with you. One of these fine days. 

For now, let's talk about a project still on the to-do list.  Floors. Much of our house needs new floors. We've currently got a crazy mish-mash of wood, laminate wood, and a hideously ugly but insanely soft mint green carpet. Oh, and a room with a brick floor. All together, it's a bit much and some of it is not really my taste so I'd like to make some changes.

Just for fun, how about some really random pictures (all of Blaire, of course) I pulled off my phone which show the flooring we've got going on.

Here's the wood, which is a kind of parquet/checkerboard pattern. I don't hate it but there's some wear by the entry and there's a giant rectangle in the living room where there's no wood flooring at all. We assume the previous owners had a carpet medallion installed at some time. We have the hole covered with a large area rug.

To the right is a hall that leads to all the bedrooms. That half of the house is all laminate.

The laminate:

The minty green carpet:
Apparently, I like taking pictures of my kid in crazy outfits. There are about 900 more where this came from.

I don't have a picture of the brick room on my phone but I do love the brick floor. We don't use the room currently but the brick is staying. We'll add some area rugs once we figure out the plan for that room.

So, back to the flooring issues. While the laminate wood isn't my favorite, it's in good shape and looks pretty nice so I'm content to leave it alone in the bedroom half of the house in order to save money for other projects. In the other half the house, we still have a mix of all four floorings. The green carpet has to go. The wood floor has to go. The laminate in the kitchen is fine but it's locked between the carpeted area and the wood floors, so it probably needs to go too, so that there's some consistency on that half of the house.  I would love to just run new hardwoods throughout that portion of the house but that's by far the priciest option and the expense may make it a project that's put off for a while. But it's an option.

Recently, I've seen some gorgeous tile that looks like hardwood. I never imagined that as an option but recent pictures have me considering it. I especially love it laid out in the herringbone pattern below.
 

 It looks like hardwood but I wonder about how it feels under foot.
 
 
Has anyone used a wood grain tile in their home? If so, I'd love to hear how you feel about it.
 
Another concern - does tile make sense in a dining room and living area? Or should it be confined to kitchens and baths?
 
What to do? Put hardwood everywhere, when the budget allows? Do "wood" tile throughout? Mix it up?

 

10 comments:

Jill said...

I think the wood tile looks great. Definitely makes sense in a kitchen. I think it would work in the dining room if you did a large rug under the table.

Amanda @ Our Oklahoma Nest said...

I love that wood tile! I think it would make sense throughout!

Laura {happily ever} Parker said...

I think wood tile I a great idea. Just check out some samples in person first before you 100% commit to it!

Shannon Sentences said...

I think the traditional hall picture looks really nice, and I think having tile throughout is not strange BUT do consider what that's like for Blaire and any other potential little ones. We had tile in a large portion of our previous house and since moving to a house with all hard woods (I got lucky on that one), I can really see the difference with how hard a tile floor is. Glasses, dishes and other items break so much more easily on tile, and the kids hurt themselves falling so much more on tile. Clearly, you won't have little ones in the house forever, but it is a consideration. Tile is super easy to clean though...

Jen B said...

Love the pics of your sweet girl! I am a hardwood girl, but I do like the look of the tiles you posted. Our master bath tile is done in herringbone, and looks very similar to the pic you posted. We love it! I think the wood floors or tile that mimics wood would work throughout, just a matter of what you will be satisfied with when it's all said and done. This may already be your plan, but I would suggest replacing the laminate in the hallway that leads to the bedrooms to match the new flooring you put in the rest of the house. Then if you ever decide to replace the floors in the bedroom, the hallway won't get left behind. Good luck! Can't wait to see your "after" pics!

Emily Clark said...

I've been super impressed with the hardwood tile option.
(Just came across this post this morning and they have tile http://www.hollymathisinteriors.com/2014/02/young-houston-familys-home/)
I do think that the trick to the tile is by not trying to hard to look like wood. I really love the look of a slight contrast with a lighter colored grout. Yeah it's hard blah blah blah, but that's what rugs are for! Good luck!

Sara McCarty said...

Oh geez, I have no idea. We have hardwood through our whole house and I will say that I absolutely love it. I don't think you can go wrong with hardwood, but it is pricey. I like the tile option. Might be nice with the Florida heat, but could also feel cold and very hard. But with both tile and hardwood, you'll still have to do rugs here and there, which adds more expense. So much to think about.

Classy Fab Sarah said...

That herringbone tile pattern is AMAZING! I have no real help for you, I just wanted to say WOOOOWWWWW.

Nat said...

We actually looked at the wood tile and depending on which one you go with it can actually be more expensive than some hardwoods! It feels really good underfoot though and you can't tell it's tile at all. We just put hardwood throughout our whole first floor and we love it. We were able to get the hardwood on a super sale at lumber liquidators- we were originally going with bamboo because it was so much cheaper but if you watch the sales closely at LL you can find hardwood for a good price. I would say look into that option. Bamboo has also come a long way in the last few years and they make really nice durable options.

John Spessard said...

Herringbone patterns are just classical in their own beauty. It gives a very elegant air to the room, especially with the right kind of wood and staining. As for your dilemma regarding floor choosing, I think that you should mix it up in ways that are comfortable and practical at the same time. Anyway, whatever you choose, I hope it works out for the best!

John Spessard @ RRSI Pro